SPECIAL INFORMATION REGARDING TRAVELING TO KAUAI AND YOUR PURE KAUAI EXPERIENCE
Aloha! We at Pure Kauai hope you are all excited and looking forward to your trip to Kauai. Below are some important notes, links, and information regarding our island and Pure Kauai procedures:
Haena Beach Park / Ke'e / Kalalau Trail Access - The ONLY WAY for visitors to go to Haena Beach Park or Kalalau Trail is to purchase a Shuttle + Pass (preferred), Pass Only (limited), or Parking + Pass (very limited). Reservations are available at https://www.gohaena.com/ and are required for anyone who is not a resident of Hawaii with a valid Hawaii ID. For non-Hawaii residents, a valid ID is still required in addition to an entry pass. Hanalei Initiative (non-profit managing reservation system) will check the ID of everyone in a car, and will deny access to non Hawaii residents without valid ID AND an entry Pass. The reservation sale process is like buying concert tickets - Shuttle + Pass (preferred), Pass Only (limited), or Parking + Pass (very limited) go on sale 30 days in advance at 12am midnight, HST. Typically Parking + Pass are sold out within 30mins of being released. Drop offs are NOT allowed without a Pass.
Rental Cars Delivery:
Pure Kauai guests relax upon arrival, knowing they can skip the rental car agency counter and let us deliver rental cars to their private island estate. We have an exclusive partnership with Go Rentals, that allows Pure Kauai guests three convenient options for rental car delivery. We handle the delivery details.
- Have your car delivered to the Lihue Airport (LIH) baggage claim
- Have your car delivered to the Lihue Private Jetway. Your car will be on the tarmac as you walk off the plane
- Have your car delivered to your Private Estate. We will handle the details of your airport transfers
Let us help you find the perfect vehicle for your stay!
Go Rentals: Rental Car Request Form
Email: [email protected]
Sarah Tanglin: 808-852-2261
Updated Arrival procedure and Cleaning Procedures at our properties:
- Although it has always been Pure Kauai's standard procedure to greet all incoming guests at the property, in an effort to minimize exposure and potential spread of the Covid-19 virus, hosts WILL NOT be greeting guests in person. Hosts will work with property managers prior to arrival to prep the house, deliver any pre-arrival items, as well as have things all opened up and ready for guest arrival.
- Concierge services have always been, and continue to be a cornerstone of the Pure Kauai host position. Pending availability, I am happy to make any and all arrangements you may need during your time here. This can include, but is not limited to: pre-arrival grocery stocking at the house, personal assistant work, private chef services, surf lessons and board rentals, horseback riding, small boat tours, yoga and personal training, restaurant reservations, and more. Please be aware that as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, most tour operators are running on a limited/reduced schedule and only offering private experiences. Some activities and services may not be available at this time. Please let me know if you have interest in reserving activities and services and I can provide you a best list of what is available.
- Don't forget that Kauai has 91 beaches and over 113 miles of coast line, most of which are open to the public. Explore and enjoy! Because our island has fared very well during the pandemic, partly due to being closed off from outside visitors, we have maintained strict social distancing standards, as well as enforced wearing masks when in any shops/restaurants, as well as when in any busy public spaces. Here in Hawaii, the new standard greeting is called Shakas Not Shakes 🤙🏼 (or a hand wave works too!). We ask that you please help us keep our island and community safe and open by following these guidelines.
- You can find all of the most recent visitor information at: https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements or https://www.gohawaii.com/islands/kauai
Trip Preparation and FAQs
Aloha from Pure Kauai!
We are pleased to be a part of your Kauai vacation! We want your stay to be as memorable and relaxing as it possibly can be. We hope this FAQ will answer some of your questions, to help you better your stay. In addition, please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any additional questions or comments. We are very much looking forward to having you as our guest!
Where do I have items sent to via mail?
None of our houses accept mail or packages. All items should be mailed to the Pure Kauai office as addressed below. Your host will deliver them to the house once they arrive.
c/o YOUR NAME and House Name
Attn: (host/concierge name)
5118 iolani place
Princeville, HI 96722
What are the standard check in and check out times?
All of our properties include a 3pm Check In and 10 am Check Out. We do try and accommodate an early check in or later check out requests, if possible. Most properties offer later check outs for an additional half-day rate, in order to accommodate guests with an evening departure. Please note, that this service needs to be setup prior to arrival. If you would like to set this up, please contact your Island Host
What are check out procedures?
Check out at your home is 10 am. Typically, housekeepers show up promptly at 10 am on check out day. In the event that you need a little extra time, we will do our best to accommodate, if the home is available. If you have an evening flight and would like an evening check out, that is available for 1/2 day rate plus tax for a check out up until 6 pm. Most homes ask that you lock up, shut all doors and windows and leave the key in the lockbox if there is one. Checks out procedures are typically printed in your house manual found inside the home.
Who do I call with house related issues once I am on the island?
All of our homes are appointed with a property manager. This person is responsible for any house questions or property emergencies. Your host will provide you with their name and contact number. This information will also be provided on both your itinerary and in the house manual.
Is the water safe to drink?
Yes. The tap water on Kauai is tested regularly on a monthly basis and is way above the national standard. We encourage people to do their part in reducing plastic waste by drinking the local water vs. bottled water.
What does my Island Host/Personal Concierge do?
Your Island Host/Personal Concierge is there to assist you in setting up any services or activities before and during your stay here on the Island. They will welcome you at your accommodations while answering any basic house questions. It is recommended that you set up any activities prior to coming to the Island. However, your Island Host can also set up activities while you are here. Your Island Host will also ensure that your vacation itinerary runs flawlessly by checking in with you throughout your stay.
What is the advantage of using the concierge service?
Over 20 years, Pure Kauai has created a culture that attracts the very best activity and service providers available on Kauai. Our local Concierge team is known to be a cornerstone of the Pure Kauai experience. They are hospitality professionals, who built their careers in the Kauai travel industry, and will make curating your next ambitious vacation a breeze. From a night in Hanalei town to a 50th birthday celebration week, our Concierges will add immeasurable local insight and value to your experience. This intimate service comes with each Pure Kauai home reservation. There are no added fees. We simply want to make your vacation as easy and enjoyable as possible. An optional gratuity for your Concierge and in-home service providers can be added to your final bill post departure.
Our Concierge's Commitment to You...
- To add significant value to your experience
- To keep our thumb on the beat of the island
- To uphold an admirable attention to detail
- To go above and beyond
- To provide a 5-star experience on exclusive private properties
- To share worldly experiences, provided by Kauai’s top professionals
- To facilitate culturally appropriate experiences our community can be proud of
- To genuinely care about your vision and vacation experience
“Professional staff, more than willing to make your vacation an experience, not just a place to stay. Hard to beat their selection of vacation properties, and their service will make the experience even better!” - Derek
When is payment collected for the Activity and Service Portion?
A Service Invoice Estimate will be sent to you before your stay. This will include a breakdown of costs, for your scheduled activities/services. Payment will be collected prior to your arrival, to confirm your scheduled activities/services.
Should you add/change or delete any services while on the island, we send your Final Service Invoice within 30 days of departure.
What are the cancellation policies for activities and services?
You can find specific cancellation policies per provider within the quotes your Concierge shares. "Private Tours" and "Private Chefs" will have stricter cancellation policies. Below is a general rule of thumb for Kauai activity and service cancellation policies. All outdoor activities go "rain or shine" on Kauai.
- In-Home Services: 72 hours
- Island Activities: 72-96 hours (vendor dependent)
- Private Chef Services: 2 weeks (14 days)
Holiday Pricing and Cancellations (Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving, Dec 18th - Jan 3rd):
- In-Home Services and Activities: 72-96 hours cancellation policy (vendor dependent)
- Private Chef Services: 30-day cancellation policy (30 days from first scheduled meal)
- Holiday Pricing: In-Home Services are charged at Time and a Half (1.5x)
Do I TIP?
Gratuities are a personal preference. They are appreciated by all of our service providers. We do recommend bringing cash for the Activity Vendors and Group Tours. You may also leave a cash tip for your service provider at the time of service. We can also add gratuity for services "in house" on your Final Invoice upon check out.
When can I expect my security deposit to be refunded?
There are no security deposits collected by Pure Kauai.
What do I need to bring on my vacation?
Our homes are stocked with everything needed for a comfortable vacation stay. Most properties include the basic house amenities: beach towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, kitchen supplies, a hairdryer, an iron, etc. Feel free to contact your Island Host for any other accommodation amenities.
What is the weather like?
We are located in one of the most beautiful spots on earth with very comfortable weather and light trade winds. Because of our location we do get daily rain, keeping our waterfalls plentiful. In general, always plan on sun with passing showers, with the majority of our rains in the early mornings and evenings. Weather reports are very rarely accurate here, so always best to bring a light rain jacket or windbreaker for most outdoor activities, in the event of rain. Like anywhere else, Kauai does get the occasional storm that can pass through. In the event of a storm, this usually just means more rain than usual.
What time zone is Hawaii in?
We are in the Hawaiian and Aleutian time zone and we do not observe daylight savings time.
Hawaii is known for its trade winds. Many homes on Kauai have been designed for "open airflow" using screened windows and screened sliding doors, and DO NOT have air conditioning. Please be sure and confirm when making your reservation whether the home you have chosen does or does NOT have air conditioning. Depending on the season, or even the day, temperatures typically range between 74 to 84 for the highs, and 60 to 74 for the lows, year-round. Refunds or discounts ARE NOT given for lack of Air Conditioning in a property.
WiFi, Electric and Water
All Pure Kauai homes include utility services which include WiFi internet service, Electric Service, and Water Service. Please understand that our small island does occasionally experience hiccups in these services. While we at Pure Kauai, as well as the affiliated utility services strive to remedy any outages as quickly as possible. These services can be affected by any number of elements, including inclement weather, floods, system upgrades or repairs, etc. In general, Verizon and ATT cell phones have the best coverage here on Kauai.